Science has helped us understand the great importance of the microbiome and the vital role it plays on our health. Kefir is packed with probiotics and backs our ancestral knowledge of why we should all be drinking it everyday.
What is Kefir?
Kefir is a fermented milk drink with a deep history beginning in the Caucasus Mountains. This ancestral superfood has has been around for over 2000-5000 years. It is a magical drink, traditionally made with fresh animals milk & kefir cultures (SCOBY, a symbiotic colony of bacteria & yeasts.)
The cultures feed on the lactose and release lactic acid back into the milk. This evolves into an easily digestible milk drink packed with billions of healthy bacteria.
Champagne of Dairy
Kefir is a thin drinking yogurt, that's slightly tart, with a natural fizz. It's known as the champagne of dairy due to the natural effervescence that occurs through fermentation. This is a sign of a proper kefir filled with life!
What's all the hype?
Kefir is a true superfood, it contains:
- Tryptophan which is a pre-cursor to 5HTP which is a compound that aids sleep.
- Vitamin K2 which is essential for healthy bones and teeth.
- Magnesium which aids relaxation of the intestinal tract & blood flow around the body.
- Protein that's highly absorbable helping muscular recovery.
- Vitamin D which is rare to find in many foods and is important for mood & mental health.
- 20-50 strains of bacteria compared to 6/8 contained in live yoghurt & commercial kefir
The microbiome is made up of 100 trillion microbial cells. They often live within our gut, however also live in other areas such as our skin, mouth & eyes.
This community of microbes work together to produce chemicals that are vital for digestion, immune health, skin health, metabolism and mental health.